We Played a game to determine the best Jekyll and Hyde film adaptations.

Screen Drafts is a popular podcast.  This is a version of the screen drafts game where 3 people chose the best (ideally) 13 films that fit into a draft topic with trivia, vetoes and veto overrides thrown in to keep the game interesting. My name is Dennis. My wife, Vanessa, played and our friend Scott played as well. I chose the topic, films based on or inspired by the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Trivia is need to determine who gets what picks and how many vetoes are in play. One can carry an unused veto and/or override from one game to the next. From the found footage game. I had a one veto and one override and Vanessa had an extra override.

I contacted the co-host of a great horror podcast called Nightmare Junkhead. His name is Jenius McGee and he came up with good trivia.


1. Which actor has never played Jekyll or Hyde: Jeffery Combs, David Hasslehoff, Robbie Coltrane or Anthony Perkins?

-Scott answered this one correctly, Combs

2. Which is not a real movie: Dr Jekyll and Ms Hyde, Dr Black and Mr Hyde, Dr. Jerkll, Dr. Jekyll Likes Em Hot, Dr. Pickle and Mr. Pride?

-I answered this one correctly, Dr Jerkll

We all lost what year the first Jekyll movie came out, 1908 so I won't number that question.

3. Who were the leads in Mary Reilly and what was their relationship?

-I answered correctly that they were master and maid and Roberts and Malkovich. First one to two got first choice. Next one to two got second choice and last place got last option left. Here are what the options look like. I ended up choosing C.

Option C (5 choices more towards the bottom) 13, 12, 9, 6 and 3--comes with two veto cards

Option B (4 choices) 11, 8, 5 and 2--comes with 2 veto cards and an override

Option A (4 choices all in top 10 including number one)  10, 7, 4 and 1--one veto card & one override.

4. What is Hyde called in The Nutty Professor?

Vanessa got it with Buddy Love.

5. Which one of these animated films contains no Jekyll character: Pagemaster, Scobby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, Monster House or Mad Monster Party?

-Scott correctly answered Monster House and chose option B, leaving Vanessa with the pick at number one.

We played this game at Frozen Cactus bar and grill in town. I had pizza and two gin and cokes; they were out of Bullet Whiskey. V had quesadillas and vodka cranberry and Scott had Bud Light and quesadillas. We could not find a place to play that resembled any film we watched to we went for a bar with big tables.

I had first pick and funny enough I chose this placement so I could play a very silly comedy called Dr Heckle and Mr Hype with Oliver Reed and not get it vetoed because it was at such a low spot. But overnight, I decided to play some prestige choices I did not love and did not want to place too high up the list. The first one I played was 

13. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)

I thought Ingrid Bergman did an admirable job as did Lana Turner, both playing against type. There was a level of kink to it that was pushing back against the censors. The pick (which I worried someone would play at five or something) was met with a collective sigh. Scott might have played it here. Vanessa pointed out that at one time Katherine Hepburn considered playing both lead female roles. She was intrigued by that but not by the film and did not mind it at thirteen but would not have played it.

12. Mary Reilly (1996)

I picked this next because I was not crazy about it but liked the prestige of it with that cast and a sexy Hyde. I also liked the weird images of meat. Scott found Malkovich too elegant as Hyde and would not have played it. Vanessa would have played it here but admitted it had problems. My second for the good of the list pick that was met with a shrug and no veto.

At number eleven, Scott tried to play Dr Jekyll The Musical (2001). We all agreed certain aspects of the production were great. David Hasslehoff was a nice surprise and though I was more reserved, Scott and Vanessa both were smitten with it, Scott so much so that he vetoed himself to play it higher later. He said his wife and daughter were singing along to the film. And Vanessa said this is one she could see herself re watching often. 

11. Dr Jekyll and Ms Hyde (1995)

Scott played this instead admitting that it did have its problems but Sean Young was a bad ass and what befell Jeremy Piven was very funny. Vanessa agreed. I liked Harvey Firestein's role enough not to veto.

10. Abbott and Costello Meet Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1953)

Vanessa had this as her first pick. She liked the suffrage musical beginning, a few bits throughout and the weird Karloff  Jekyll who is grooming a woman he raised to be his bride. Scott and I both found a lot to laugh about in this one and did not offer a veto.

09. Edge of Sanity (1989)

Here is one I enjoyed a lot of. I liked the older, married Jekyll. I liked the psycho-sexual stuff. I liked the 80's nature. But I thought it fell apart in the last third so I did not want it too high. Vanessa and Scott did rank this higher. Scott embraced this Hyde but no veto was offered.

At 8, Scott tried to play Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1920). I found this one to be the scariest. I would have been horrified for anyone to end up with that version of Jekyll. I vetoed the film right away.


08. Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971)

This is what Scott ended up playing. I would not have played this. I found the motivation for Jekyll creaky in this one and the love interest annoying beyond measure. It was only number eight so I did not offer a veto. Scott has found (through these games) that he likes Hammer films. He found the murders in this one compelling. And Vanessa liked the film as well.

At 7, Vanessa tried to play The Nutty Professor (1963). I vetoed that straight away as it is a brilliant comedy.

07. The Son of Dr Jekyll (1951)

This is what Vanessa ended up playing. She liked the film for its interesting beginning and its twists and turns along the way. Scott had not seen this one. And I liked it well enough not to use my last veto on it.

06. The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000)

Eddie Murphy is a comic genius. I could not pick the first one, Jada and too many fart jokes. But Janet is luminous in this one. Sherman is sweet and his father going through his health issue is touching. It also really understands that Hyde is a part of Jekyll and what that means in the long run. It deserves this spot. Scott had not seen it but thought it had a place on the list. Vanessa shook her head in derision but offered no veto.

05. The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll (1960)

Scott found this Jekyll sexy and this Hyde sexy as hell. We all appreciated the wife character being a villain instead of a doormat. The snake woman was a sexy fallen woman. We were all happy with this choice and placement. 

Jekyll and Hyde The Musical (2001)

Vanessa played this here for reasons outlined above the number 12 spot.


03. The Nutty Professor (1963)

I played this here. It was my personal list two. Scott did not see this film.  Vanessa liked it a lot was much impressed by Jerry's acting but did not laugh all that much. I found the film hilarious. The bit where he smooth talks the dean and the bit where he takes his shoes off and his socks make equally squeaky noises. V and I both agreed that the speech at the end was touching. I have to believe Andrew Dice Clay was created from Buddy's way with women and attitude with that bartender.


02. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1920)

We were all moved by Lionel Barrymore as the doctor and horrified by him as Hyde. This was my person number one, but I could live with it at two.

01. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1931)

He's a gangster of an ape man. But he is freaking awesome. Vanessa and Scott knew this was the easy number one. I had it at three but was fine with it here. I played the Tracy version at 13 because it was the exact same type of adaptation but not as good as this film that came a decade before it. Fredrick March is a treasure.

The next attempt at a game will have four players and eighteen films. The topic will be SATAN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Going to the Movies 2023: A Top Ten and Bottom Ten List

We Played Screen Drafts to Determine the Best Film Featuring Satan

My Wife, My Friend and I Played a Game of Scream Drafts to Determine the 13 Best Frankenstein Films.