A Working Actor: Roddy McDowall (Screen Drafts Home Version 22)
For my Draft, I chose to do our first actor draft. I chose it because I wanted an excuse to watch The Martian Chronicles months after our Ray Bradbury Draft. And I could have gone with Rock Hudson, Bernie Casey or Roddy McDowall. I decided on Roddy because it was pride month, but his career was so vast, that I tried to focus on the least obvious picks. I chose films from every period of his life and did not avoid cameos (of which he did many), television or cartoon work. We each got four choices and since there are seventeen total options I allowed to be played, the film not picked in placement two is the number one film. Placements were based on who had the best hand during a game of 5 card stud. I also put in a half veto that went to two players. It could only be used if both agreed. Other than that, all but the top spot had two vetoes and one override. The A position had only one veto. The day after we played the music video game and I announced my game, I found a new Roddy McDowall biography at Barnes and Noble. Kismet. We (Vanessa, Nick, Scott and I) played the game at an English pub. Nick's friend Jessie joined us.
17. The Martian Chronicles (1979)
16. Everybody's Dancin' (1950)
15. Scavenger Hunt (1979)
I played Scavenger Hunt which has an all star cast and is a take on Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I just did not laugh. Roddy plays a butler who is part of a scavenger hunt to win an inheritance. Nick did find some humor and threw out a veto. It was overridden by Scott.
Vanessa tried to play Class of 1984 here, but Scott threw out a veto. She then chose Laser Blast. This was a mondo film some of us saw in a theater and damn near fell asleep. All agreed that the effects were fun. Roddy's cameo as a doctor contributed nothing, and there was no real high points in this film.
12. Fright Night 2 (1988)
This might be a controversial choice, but Nick played this because he found it lesser than the first and didn't even like the first all that much. Vanessa and Scott were surprised, but Nick argued that Roddy was not all that heroic and did not have enough do. Scott vetoed, and I overrode because I never quite bought Charlie with his gf.
I played Angel 4 here. I love the Angel series. Nick revealed that he has no interest in seeing the others, but this is the least of them. It's ranked this high because Roddy is a great villain in this, all agreed.
From all these games we have played, Tam Lin might be the movie I liked least that I used a veto on. I did not want Roddy's only directorial effort to be at the bottom. I did find one truly interesting scene between the male lead and his eventual love interest. That meeting has such strange energy. The rest of the film could be called boring and tonally confusing.
I fucking loved the Barbarian Brothers growing up. There is one good actor in the duo and one bad. Three of us agreed on this. Nick, the one who liked the one in the Raiders sweater played Double Trouble here. No one thinks this is a masterwork, but Roddy's villain work in this is certainly masterful.
I played this cartoon pilot after Nick and Vanessa put there half vetoes together to move up Roddy's episode of Night Gallery. Dark Waters is a fun surprise. We all agreed if we found it as children (and Scott did) we would have been regular viewers.
Scott played Man Hunt here. This is Roddy's only child performance in this draft. He plays a young man who helps a fugitive to avoid getting caught. This fugitive was seeing if he had the ability to kill Adolph Hitler. He could have taken a shot at him, but only wanted to see if it was possible so didn't take the shot. The Germans find out about him and go on a man hunt. Some of the ambiguity was frustrated and the female lead never quite worked.
Nick played this after Vanessa vetoed his playing of The Legend of Hell House. We all had praise for this show starring screen legend Helen Hayes. This episode featured Roddy as the killer and Vincent Price as an aging horror star accused. It has good laughs, and was no doubt the prototype for Murder She Wrote.
03. Night Gallery (1969) "The Cemetery"The dinner sequence in this, group of people in a haunted house, film is next level in terms of effects, especially for the era. Roddy plays the one member of the investigators who had been to the house prior and survived. This is a weird, psycho sexual classic that should be talked about more.
Comments
Post a Comment